Friday, February 12, 2016

Sculpture 1 -- Relief Sculpture

So Fall 2015 I took Sculpture 1. Yes I finally got to take the class I've been waiting on since I got back in college. I was pretty cool. I did realize that I don't like working with clay but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Relief Sculpture

Our first project was to make non-objective (devoid of any reference to the natural world), organic (shapes with a natural look and a flowing and curving appearance) relief sculpture. Thee medium we used was plaster and the method was carving. We had to have high, mid, and low reliefs.



We started by mixing our plaster and pouring it into the box above. Then we let it dry and get hard. In the mean time we drew 25 sketches of what we wanted to create.

After it dry we transferred our sketch on the plaster via grid transfer method. The carvinbg then ensued.



After the carving was done we sanded with sandpaper, used turtle was to seal it, painted it with acrylic, and sealed it again.



Tada! Sculpture.

I loved carving. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it. I liked the plaster too but it really didn't like me at all. If my masked slipped a little bit, my nose was on fire and if my hands touched to much of it for too long, they itched like crazy.(I wore gloves) Let's not even talk about accidentally touching it left over on my clothes. Yeah... so more carving less plaster. Overall great learning experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment