Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Today I Won Awards at a Show

No. You didn't read the title of this post wrong. Today I won 2nd place at the Alabama State University Art Show as well as the Chair's Award. I've been on a roller coaster since. I'm elated, shocked, and grateful all at once (I guess it's not a roller coaster?). When I went to the reception today I didn't think that I would win anything, I just showed up. Seriously. I just wanted to enjoy the reception, talk to my fellow students about their work, and show my mom around since she really wanted to come. I didn't even plan on staying the whole time because I had a meeting at the same time. I didn't invite people for the same reasons.

So now some of you are like, "why did you enter and not expect to win?" Because I don't make art to win. I make art as a form of expression, to say something, to make people feel something, and other things along those lines. I enter shows so more people can see and experience what I have to offer. Of course placing is awesome and I'm really happy to be recognized. As far as the Chair's Award goes, it's a very awestruck feeling to know that my work is now part of the University's art collection. I don't even know what else to say about that.

Anyway, so the work at won both awards was Lightman.



I found to be so interesting because it never really seemed like anyone got it but me. That was a sad thought at first but then I decided it was ok if no one got it or appreciated. As long as I continued to appreciate it, it would just be a nice little moment between God and me. 

As you may have seen in one of my previous posts, this was a school project. Truly, it was a life revitalizing project. In a slew of projects I had absolutely no interest in, during and after it was over gave me strength to push through. Don't get me wrong I learned a lot. I thank God for it too. It just really reminded me to stay in my lane. When it comes to graphic design, I'll mainly stick to web design and social media. Yes even though I don't post about my life on any given network, it's all about communication. Those happen to be my preferred methods of digital communication. 

Lightman itself was inspired considerably by the Christian Bible verse Matthew 5:16 - "Let your light so shine before men, that ehy may se your good works and glorify your Father in heaven," as well and a few others.

It's about how we have so many choices in life and needing to make choices that align with our goals and purpose. It's about how God provides many opportunities for us and blesses us abundantly. It's about staying true to ourselves so that our lives and our testimonies help direct one another. It's about how sometime we're the only good in the world that people will ever see. It's about whether things look fertile or dry it's really just a matter of perspective. It's about standing tall and holding on to the promise of God's peace. 

Anyway it's about a lot of things but that is the gist of it. I'm looking forward to the things that God has for me to do and the results thereof. All glory and honor goes to Him. I'm grateful that He made me an artist and I wouldn't change it for anything. 

Be joyous and thrive!




1 comment: