Friday, October 9, 2015

Drawing 1

So I was about to make a post about Drawing 2 when I realized I never made this one!

About Drawing 1, it was hard but worth all the hard work. I was dreading this class. I was and avid "I can't draw" person. To the point it could have been the poster child. As I took this class I realized that was an incorrect statement. I should have said, " I draw all the time but not realistic or naturalist stuff." Although after this class, I can do that if I want (but I really don't want too).

We started doing Structural Sketches the academic way, lots and lots of structural sketches. Like this chair.

The enemy of my classmates and myself


This frustrated me a lot. If fact it got so bad, one time after class I cried. Seriously. However after much prayer and seeking wise counsel, I started making progress. It turned out I wasn't as bad I as thought I was.

Eventually we started learning about contour lines too and received our first official project: 4 Hands

Four Hands was an assignment were we drew four separate hands on a 18 X 24 sheet of paper using contour lines. Contour lines are lines that defines a form or an edge.

Four Hands





Next we did an organic and found object composition of our choice with contour and cross-contour lines. Cross-contour lines are line that go across the surface of an object. I choose to do keys and leaves on a flat surface.

Keys and Leaves





Then it was a matter of repetition. We did two self portraits: one in contour lines and another in cross-contours.

Self portrait in contours
I don't have a picture of the one in cross-contours because once I realized I should start photographing my work I had already entered in into an art contest. It's been in contests ever since but that's a different post for a different time.

Our final project was a diptych which is a two part work of art.






I documented this experience in my first few posts:  Drawing One Final: Diptych Drawings, Subject Acquired, Change In Plan!, and I finished It (For class anyway).

Overall it was hard work but a great experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment